<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Perfectly Poached Eggs

Friday, June 8, 2012

Perfectly Poached Eggs

If the thought of eating a runny yolk disturbs you, then you will have to ignore this post - but please come back!

Eggs are one of my favorite foods.  They are low in calories, high in protein and inexpensive.  Dr. Oz explained on his show that even the American Heart Association recommends eating an egg a day.

On most mornings, my husband and I eat poached eggs on toast (grain free toast, of course).  It's our favorite.  If it was doused in Hollandaise sauce, it would be even MORE my favorite.

Here's my attempt at a step-by-step explanation of how to make a perfectly poached egg - which, in my definition, means ALL of the white part is cooked and the yolk is runny. 

Perfectly Poached Eggs 

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
about a tablespoon or two of white vinegar (trust me on this) 

Instructions:
Break eggs into separate small bowls.  Next, fill a small saucepan with water.  
Add white vinegar to saucepan.  This will cause the egg to hold its shape.   Bring water to a gentle, rolling boil.  Turn heat to medium when you get to this stage so it doesn't boil too hard.
Gently lower the edge of one bowl into the water, releasing the egg.  Do the same with the second egg.

Immediately start the timer.  My husband likes his eggs around 4 minutes.  I prefer mine right around 4 1/2 to 5 minutes. (This is also based on the fact that the eggs we used to get at our local health food store were HUGE.  I've been buying the most wonderful eggs from a local farmer and have lowered my cooking times slightly to adjust to a smaller egg.)

Once timer is up, remove poached eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels to remove extra moisture.   

Serve on toasted, buttered grain free bread and enjoy!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At June 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yum! i love a good runny yolk:) those look delicious! thanks for sharing!

 
At June 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Jen said...

You're welcome!
:)
Jen

 
At June 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks great! We have eggs for breakfast every morning but I've never attempted a poached egg. This will be on the menu tomorrow! Thanks!

Cassidy
cookingglutenfree.blogspot.com

 
At June 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,

Where are you getting your eggs from now?

Dee

 
At June 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Hey Dee! I get my eggs from this wonderful local farmer who allows her chickens to roam freely. She feeds them very well and there's absolutely no soy in their feed. I've been doing some research on soy and finding that a lot of "organic" meats out there are fed soy which converts to estrogen. I can't remember the name of the farm right now but will try to get more info to you. I would check out local farms in your area. I've even started calling farms from my local health food store and asking if they feed their chickens soy. Because...well...I'm crazy like that...

Take care-
Jen

 
At June 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Cassidy-

We're "eggs for breakfast every morning" people too. Their such an inexpensive source of great protein and healthy fats.

Let me know how your poaching goes! It might take a few times to figure out how many minutes you like your eggs cooked. We've done it so much we have it down to a science now...

Enjoy!

Jen

 
At June 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Dee,

The name of the farm is 5-String Farm. Let me know if you want their number.

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home