<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Carrot Cake Muffins (grain free, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free)

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Carrot Cake Muffins (grain free, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free)

Awhile ago, I posted a recipe review of Against All Grain's Breakfast Cookies, a continued favorite of our family.  After eating these cookies for the umpteenth time, I wondered if I could rework the recipe to make a carrot cake muffin.  One of the things I love about Danielle's Breakfast Cookie is that it relies solely upon dried fruit to sweeten it.  I don't feel guilty for eating them, because they are truly nutritious, high in protein and sooooo good!

After some trial and error, I came up with this recipe for Carrot Cake Muffins.  I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. 
Carrot Cake Muffins (grain free, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free) 

Ingredients:

12 Medjool dates (pitted and roughly chopped)
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1 cup almond butter (I prefer freshly ground from my local health food store)

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

2 1/2 cups grated carrots
1 cup raisins
chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F. 

Place dates, almond flour and almond butter into food processor.  Process until everything is pasty and well combined.

Add the next seven ingredients (through baking soda) and process until smooth.

Next, add grated carrots and raisins and pulse a few times to combine.

Line muffin tins with paper liners.  Fill three fourths full with batter.  If desired, sprinkle tops with chopped walnuts.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Makes 20 muffins.  Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.  YUM...

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At May 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM , Anonymous Danielle said...

Those look delicious!

 
At May 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,

These look AMAZING! So glad to see a new post from you. Hope you're well.

Happy belated Mother's Day. :-)

I'm making your banana cake today for my son's birthday (omitting bananas and adding blueberries/strawberries). Your cake has become a bit of an obsession in our house, Jen!!! It's just delicious.

Hugs,
--Amber

 
At May 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thank you! Let me know if you try them and what you think.

 
At May 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Happy belated Mother's Day to you too Amber! We're doing pretty well over here. Please fill me in on your sons cake. I showed the picture to my kids and with raised eyebrows they said, "can you make that?!" I'm so glad your family is enjoying the banana cake. I'm relieved someone is trying and enjoying recipes here and there.

SCD is such a commitment. It helps to have others' input and recipes to keep things fresh and interesting. I tend to fall into the same foods week after week and love to try new recipes that make my kids happy.

Thanks for always being so encouraging!

Jen

 
At June 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Natalie said...

Just made these this morning!! YUM indeed! Only thing I think I may have done wrong is my carrots were more like pulp than shreds due to the lack of the right size grater I think. So it turned out a bit "spongy/watery" on the bottoms, but nothing to keep me from making again. They also stuck to the wrapper quite a bit. any ideas? these will be a staple for me :)

 
At June 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I've not had it turn out spongy/watery, so it must have been the carrot pulp. Did you use a box grater or the grater disk in a food processor? I'm not sure about the wrapper deal either. You could always brush some coconut oil in there, but that might be a pain. Sorry you're having trouble!
Jen

 
At July 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM , Anonymous Natalie said...

Jen,
I used a box grated (small side) so I think it was because it was more like carrot pulp, ha! I also think maybe I tore into them way too soon (still too warm) and that is why they stuck to the wrapper a bit. I put in the fridge and the next morning they were perfect! Just had one for breakfast today :)

 
At July 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM , Blogger danielle said...

Oh my gosh. I finally got around to making this recipe (I seem to spend so much time cooking/baking and yet I have such a long "to try" list!) and IT.IS.AMAZING. These muffins were so delicious! I have been eating SCD for about 9 months now and if my memory serves me right they taste equivalent to carrot cake made with white flour and sugar. Or maybe better. Your recipes have been consistently yummy - thanks so much for posting them!!

 
At July 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Danielle~ What a sweet compliment! You literally made my day today. I'm so thankful you enjoyed them and have had good experiences with my recipes. It's such an encouragement to hear!

Hope you have found good success for your health on the SCD. It's been a blessing for our family -

Jen

 
At July 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM , Blogger danielle said...

It has definitely been a tough road but so worth it for my health - I was having a lot of issues with my Crohn's but have been so thankful for a friend who told me about the diet. It is getting easier now that I've been on it a while but I really appreciate everyone who blogs about/shares their experiences and recipes. The thing that is hard is just making sure you don't get in a rut - I have to remind myself every few months to dig up some new food ideas!

 
At September 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM , Anonymous Daniella said...

Can I substitute the mejdool dates for regular dates? what's the difference between the two?

 
At September 20, 2012 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Jen said...

The medjool dates are larger, softer and sweeter. I've used noor dates in cooking before, but it just didn't turn out the same. I hope that helps.

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home