<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Apricot Chicken Salad with Blanched Almonds (GF, dairy free)

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Apricot Chicken Salad with Blanched Almonds (GF, dairy free)


Chicken salad... the thought of it used to make me gag.  (Please excuse my colorful language and the uncouth picture I just placed in your mind. Ahem.)  Bear with me, I'm Italian and chicken salad dripping in mayo wasn't exactly something I grew up eating. (Although my Aunt Nettie made a killer chicken salad made with olive oil, fresh garlic and roasted red peppers....now THAT'S my kinda chicken salad!)

After living in the South (say-yowth) so long, I've come to enjoy a cracker chicken salad (oops, there I go with colorful phrases again, excuse me), as long as it's not soggy with mayo. 

I love this dish served in a ripe, hollowed out tomato, or scooped on top of a big salad.  It's easy to throw together and makes a nice lunch or light supper.

Let me know what you think of it!

Apricot Chicken Salad with Blanched Almonds (GF, dairy free) 

Ingredients:

5 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
1 cup unsulfured dried apricots, diced
3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
scallions (optional)

For Dressing:
3/4 cup Soy Free Vegenaise (it's egg free and gluten free too)
1 tablespoon dijon or course grain mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions:

Toast slivered almonds in a preheated 300F oven until fragrant and golden brown.  Set aside to cool.  In a large bowl, toss first five ingredients together (including toasted almonds).  

In a smaller bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.  Pour over chicken mixture and mix well. 

Top with scallions if desired. 

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At May 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

Chicken salad is my favorite!! And I love the use of dried apricots in there. So cleaver. I will have to try this for sure. And I do love that Veganise. I get the soy free variety. :-)

So pretty in that beautiful red tomato!

Hope you're doing well Jen.

Hugs,
--Amber

 
At May 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks delicious! i'm on the body ecology diet right now, so your recipes are right up my alley! thank you!!

 
At May 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thank you so much!

 
At June 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM , Anonymous Natalie said...

Hi Jen, I'm new here! And ever so thankful and grateful I stumbled upon your site! A bit about me: I was recently diagnosed with seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of 32 - which means I don't present an elevated Rh factor in my bloodwork, but I have chronic joint pain and inflammatin. I cut out dairy on my own 2 weeks ag and have not felt a difference, but recently went to see a holistic doctor who has started me on an herba anti inflammatory regimen and has told me to avoid: dairy/cheese, wheat/gluten, corn, soy, chocolate, peanuts, and eggs - though he said eggs will probably be ok here or there. that is my story.

This chicken salad is A-MAZING!!!!! My hubby and 8 yr old son LOVED it too! I have made it 2 weekends in a row now! thank you!!!

 
At June 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thank you so much Natalie! I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis but thankful you have a holistic doc whose getting you on the right track. I hope you find some recipes to add to your repertoire. Restrictive diets can be so...well...boring, but I've been pleasantly surprised to find a lot of helps out there in cyber space.

Take care!

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home