<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Banana Cake (grain free, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free)

Monday, February 6, 2012

Banana Cake (grain free, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free)

She likes it!  Hey Mikey! 
I wanted to re-post this banana cake to inform everyone that miracles do happen.  My daughter has decided that she likes banana bread/cake now.  HOORAY! 

I've been making this into loaves (instead of cakes) because they stack better in my freezer, but the original recipe (below) is formulated for a cake pan.  Here's a tip:  a DOUBLE recipe will make three 8"x4" loaves of banana bread.  I hope that helps.  

Just an aside - I love this banana bread toasted and slathered with butta...mmmmmm 

This is linked up to the Allergy-Free Wednesdays Blog Hop and Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love.

My kiddos LOVE bananas.  In fact, we have to buy them every few days because they eat so many.  

In an effort to get my girly with the food intolerance to eat more, I thought banana bread was a good choice.  After all, she adores bananas.  It would be a healthy, yummy thing for her (and the rest of us) to snack on.  Well, after many attempts, she just.....doesn't....like it, never has (even back in the days of full-on gluten) - never will.  Go figure.

Then, I get this great idea!  "I'll make banana bread into a cake!  Surely if it's called 'banana cake' she'll eat it."  (I'm a genius.)

Wrong!  After tasting it she said - with a look of disdain on her face- "It's tastes like banana bread."

Two words come to mind...TOO and BAD!  The rest of us loved it - including outside taste testers.  I hope you enjoy this Banana Cake as much as we... well...MOST of us did. 

This cake tastes even better the next day.  Store it in the fridge and enjoy!  

Banana Cake (grain free, gluten free, dairy free) 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans, drained and cooled (*See note)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (Honeyville Grain)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon 

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 9" round baking pan.  Line bottom with parchment paper.

In a food processor, process beans, eggs, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, honey and coconut oil.

In separate bowl, whisk together almond flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.  Add to food processor.  Pulse until combined.  Scrape down sides, add bananas, and pulse again until well mixed.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 35-40 minutes (Cake is very moist.  Do not under cook - I lean toward 40 minutes of baking time.)

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At February 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There Jen,

Absolutely beautiful recipe! And I love your honesty with your daughter's opinion of banana bread. Really Jen, that's so refreshing. So glad she came around! This recipe is amazing and so great for the SCD community. I'm going to try this for sure...and your ingredients give me a few other ideas (like grain-free lemon cake)!?

Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
--Amber

 
At February 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Thank you Amber. I ADORE lemon cake. Go at it and share soon. Now you have me craving it....At my daughter's (the baby) 1:30 a.m. feeding this morning, I gasped as I realized I hadn't linked up to the blog hop on this post. So I did it just now. Thanks for being patient with me!

 
At February 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM , Blogger VintageMom said...

Yum! Perfect for a lunchbox :) Come on over and share at the Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love party: http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2012/02/allergy-friendly-lunchbox-love-20.html

See you there!
Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

 
At February 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM , Anonymous Michelle @ The Willing Cook said...

I've seen black beans in brownies and white beans in a blond brownie, but never navy beans in banana cake. Perfect! It looks delicious and I can't wait to try it on my allergy family. Thank you for linking up this week at Allergy-Free Wednesdays! We hope to see you again next week.
~AFW Hostesses

 
At February 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks so much Michelle! It's been fun and I've loved perusing and trying the other recipe offerings...

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There Jen,

I've featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays!

Here’s the link to the other great recipe highlights:

http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/02/allergy-free-wednesdays-blog-hop-week-4.html

Hugs,
--Amber

 
At February 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Anonymous Mom said...

AFter the beans it says "See Note" - but I don't see the note? What do I need to know about the beans??
It looks amazing, I can't wait to try it.

 
At February 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Oh No! So sorry about the "see note" problem. I think I was going to give a rundown on making the beans. For SCD peeps, beans need to soak 24 hours. Then, they're drained and cooked in fresh water until soft - usually about 2-3 hours. So sorry for that! Hope you enjoy the recipe- Jen

 
At April 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

I made this. Incredible!!!

See here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Tasty-Alternative/288512964505836

 
At April 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Vicky said...

This looks awesome! I'm going to try this recipe, I love banana cake and I LOVE the addition of beans. I'v been experimenting with beans because I think it makes the texture more like a regular cake!

When my son started the SCD I made at least two loaves a week, he loved it! It's nice that your daughter is enjoying it now too! In fact I might just make this over the weekend!

 
At April 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does SCD stand for? ....and if you're not an "SCD peep", what about the beans? Thanks.

 
At April 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Jen said...

SCD stands for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet which is the subject of a book called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". It's a diet for healing the intestinal lining for those with bowel diseases such as Chrohns, colitis, IBD, etc. they are even finding tremendous results with kids who have autism. As far as the beans goes, SCDers can only have navy beans due to the type of carb breakdown that they have. (that's the short version). Beans and legumes must be soaked 24 hours to make digestion easier. For non-SCDers, I guess soaking would be optional. I hope that helps.

Jen

 
At September 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM , Anonymous Daniella said...

i bought the canned organic navy beans...already cooked. is that okay to use?

 
At September 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Jen said...

I've never used canned beans in the recipe, so I'm not sure. I'd rinse them well under warm water. The beans need to be cooked really soft to break up properly in the food processor. If they don't seem soft, maybe you could simmer them for a little bit in water to soften further. Let me know how it goes!

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home