<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Chicken with Mushroom Wine "Cream" Sauce (grain free, gluten free, dairy free)

Monday, January 2, 2012

Chicken with Mushroom Wine "Cream" Sauce (grain free, gluten free, dairy free)


Do you have foodie friends?  You know, the kind of friends you call to ask cooking questions and tremble every time you have them over for dinner?

Well, I have them too.  A dear friend (from my young, single days) married a really nice guy (who I consider to be a friend now too, although he probably wouldn't sing 80s songs and tap dance with me like his wife would.)  

Anyway, this guy is a fabulous cook.  In fact, I call him every Thanksgiving for help and last minute tips. EVERY Thanksgiving.  (sheepish grin)  He's been known to answer the phone, "Turkey Hotline.  How can we help you?"  True story.

So, our friends invited us over for dinner and made this delicious pan seared chicken with a mushroom sherry cream sauce that was TDF (to die for).  My husband is still talking about it. 

I just had to try and recreate it using cashew milk in place of the heavy cream.  Also, Sherry is not SCD compliant, so I replaced it with Chardonnay and a touch of honey for a slight sweetness.  Though the honey seems out of place, trust me on this one - it mimics the Sherry deliciously.

It's a simple meal that comes together quickly, but tastes like you slaved all day.  Simple enough for a weekday meal and special enough for company.  I hope you enjoy!

Chicken with Mushroom Wine "Cream" Sauce (grain free, gluten free, dairy free) 

Ingredients: 
8 chicken breast halves
sea salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil
16 oz. baby bella or button mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup white wine (Chardonnay)
1 1/2 cups cashew milk
1-2 teaspoons honey (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Make chicken into cutlets by slicing them in half lengthwise.  Place on a parchment or aluminum foil-lined cookie sheet.  Salt and pepper the chicken on both sides.

Heat a large saute pan on medium heat. Once hot, add a few glugs of olive oil.  Fry the chicken, browning on both sides, but not cooking through.  Remove chicken to 9x13 glass pyrex dish.  Set aside and continue browning chicken in batches.  When finished, place glass baking dish in oven for about 20 minutes, or until juices run clear.

Meanwhile, make sauce:  In the same saute pan, add mushrooms and stir.  If pan is dry, add a little more olive oil. Saute for a few minutes until golden brown.  Remove pan from heat.  Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.  Return pan to heat and add wine.  Stir well and reduce until most of the wine is evaporated.  

Just before the chicken is done, add cashew milk and stir.  (If it cooks too long, the cashew milk will over-thicken.)  Remove chicken from glass pan and arrange on serving platter. Chicken will have accumulated juices after baking.  Add the juices to the sauce and stir to incorporate.  Next, add honey and stir well.   

Taste and adjust seasonings (including salt, pepper or wine).  Pour over chicken and serve.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At January 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings fellow SCD gal,

I. Love. Your Blog. I think we share the same sense of humor too and pretty sure we would be good friends if we lived in the same town. Thank you for leaving a comment on my mint chocolate chip ice cream. We love it too (and by love I mean mildly obsessed).

Love this recipe you have here, the ingredients are perfect!! And so glad I found you. Another great blog to add to my SCD community. :-)

Big Hugs,
--Amber

 
At January 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Jen said...

AMBER! Thanks so much for your kind comment. Back to the ice cream - I couldn't stop talking about it tonight at dinner. I'm like, "Do you have any idea how impressed I am that I just made the most delicious ice cream? I don't think you all realize how awesome this is!" But, they did. Everyone was moaning and going, "MAN! This is gooooood!" Ditto on the blog love and I'm sure we'd be great friends too. Take care and keep the recipes coming!

 
At January 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM , Blogger danielle said...

Yum! This recipe looks great - can't wait to try it. I've been looking for a good SCD chicken recipe with more of a white cream sauce and this looks perfect :)
As a fairly new SCD'er, I'm wondering - do you write to different companies to find out which products are legal? I know there are certain things I could probably be buying instead of making, but I want to make sure I'm asking all the questions I should be. I was hoping some of my favorite SCD bloggers might have some advice or even samples :)

 
At January 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Danielle - I wish I had more knowledge/info for you about the SCD. I pretty much make most things or we eliminate it from our diets. I haven't been as hard core as many SCDers out there, so I may not be the best to ask. If something bothers my daughter (too much chocolate even if sweetened with honey), then we stay away from it, or allow occasional indulgence when she's not in a flare up. I do use some things like coconut sugar, and occasionally use worcestershire and quinoa flakes but again, use my daughter's tummy as a guide. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I hope you find the gut relief and healing we've been thankful to find through SCD and general avoidance to gluten and grains. - Jen

 
At January 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM , Anonymous Joey said...

Hi Sis! I love your Blog and your recipes! But not as much as I love my sister! What can I use as a substitute for the white wine in this chicken recipe? Love to you, Matt and the kids! -Joey

 
At January 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Jen said...

JOEY!!! Thanks for posting. Good brothers always post on their sister's blog. Um - substitution for white wine? I'd go with Sherry, unless you are staying away from the alcohol altogether. Hmmmmm if that's the case - I'll have to mull it over. If you can tolerate the Pecorino Romano, you could to a dairy free alfredo sauce to serve with the chicken. You can find "Chicken and Veggie Alfredo" under "Main Dishes" on the blog. Hope that helps!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM , Blogger camelia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At April 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM , Anonymous Charlene said...

I loved this recipe when u gave me some to try-- I can't wait to make it for my family

 
At April 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM , Anonymous Melissa said...

This was wonderful - my only comment is that the sauce was a little gritty. I just bought a "nut milk bag" to strain my cashew milk so I'm thinking that should solve the problem. Thanks for posting such great recipes; I have quite a few marked as favorites!

 
At April 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Melissa - I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe! I think I know why the sauce was gritty. Soaked cashews go through a gritty stage in blending before they get creamy. That's why you have to blend the heck out of them. I blend them longer than I think, then turn the blender off and then blend again. I think my post on cashew milk might say something about that. I hope that helps!

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home