<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Iced Coffee (dairy free, refined sugar free)

Monday, January 16, 2012

Iced Coffee (dairy free, refined sugar free)

I want to thank a couple of friends (Marti and Charlotte) for telling me about the Pioneer Woman's post for Perfect Iced Coffee.  LIFE SAVER...

As you might have read, we have a newborn in the house - thus the need for Mommy to have a little go-juice to help me get through the day.  (Can someone please tell me when newborns sleep through the night?)

Anyhoo, P-dub makes two gallons of this delightful nectar, but I scaled it down to one gallon.  In addition, too much caffeine gives me a whopping headache, so I used two-thirds decaf coffee to one-third regular.  I prefer to use a decaf that doesn't use chemicals to remove the caffeine.  If a coffee is labeled "organic" you can be pretty sure it's safe from being chemically processed, but I would contact the company and read labels to be certain.  I found out that the Fresh Market Decaf Blend, one of my favorites, uses a water process to remove the caffeine.

Here's my version of P-dubs Perfect Iced Coffee.  Though it lacks half-and-half and sweetened condensed milk (sigh), I think it's pretty good and, at this stage in my life, a gift from the Lord to help me get and/or keep moving.  

Onward and upward!  I think I hear laundry calling...

Iced Coffee (dairy free and refined sugar free)

Ingredients:
3 oz. regular freshly ground coffee (I used The Fresh Market Blend)
6 oz. decaf freshly ground coffee (again, TFM blend)
1 gallon (4 quarts) filtered water 

Instructions:
Place ground coffee into a large container or pitcher.  Add water.  Allow to brew at least 8 hours or overnight.

Strain through a small sieve lined with paper towels (I'm all out of cheesecloth.)

I use either cashew milk or cashew cream and agave nectar and/or stevia to sweeten.  Enjoy!

(P-dub says this keeps for about a month in the fridge.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM , Blogger danielle said...

this sounds like something I am going to need to make! Where do you get your cashew milk/cream? do you make it yourself?

 
At January 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I do make it and it's so easy!! Look under the "Beverages" tab on the blog. The directions for it is there. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it turns out. - Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home