<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Pancakes (grain free, gluten free, dairy free)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pancakes (grain free, gluten free, dairy free)

"Mommy, will you make pancakes for breakfast?"  I hear this request almost every Friday and Saturday (and some weekdays, too) from my kid-lings.  They've even been known to ask for pancakes at dinner time! 

Once we started eating grain free, I knew I had to come up with some sort of pancake recipe.  So I went to work.  (i.e. scoured the internet for ideas and then tweaked and tweaked to our liking...)  With blanched almond flour and eggs as the base, these pancakes are high in protein, unlike their traditional gluten-loaded cousins.  

I hope you enjoy!

Pancakes (grain free, gluten free, dairy free)

Ingredients:
3 cups blanched almond flour (Honeyville Grain)
6 extra large eggs
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup coconut oil 
ghee

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients (except ghee) in a blender or food processor until well combined.   

Heat griddle on low to medium low. (I've used both cast iron and stainless steel skillet - but prefer cast iron.)  Once skillet is heated, add ghee.  Then pour batter. When edges look dry and bubbly, flip carefully.

I've found it's better to cook these on low to medium low heat.  Cast iron retains heat very well.  I find I have to adjust the burner while cooking these - lowering, then maybe turning up a pinch.  If skillet is too hot, the outside will be overdone with a raw middle.  

It's really not as tricky as it seems...Enjoy!  This makes a lot!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At December 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM , Blogger SCDer said...

First off, these pancakes look AMAZING!!!!!!! :D Second off, I'm here to tell you that I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!!! I just came across your blog & fell in love! Here's a little recognition for all your hard work! Take a quick peek at my blog for the details!!!!!

 
At December 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Jen said...

WOW! I'm so touched. Thank you for the nomination. I humbly and gratefully accept. I'll try to work up a post very soon. Thank you so much for thinking of me! I can't wait to check out your blog in detail - Jen

 
At December 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

wondering what can be substituted for ghee, if anything?

 
At December 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Dear Jenn- If you tolerate butter, you could sub in melted butter. Or - melted coconut oil or olive oil would work as well. Let me know how it goes if you substitute the ghee! - Jen

 
At July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious if you could use coconut flour instead of the almond flour....or a blend thereof???

Tracy

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Tracy - I'm not sure about that. I've not had good success with coconut flour in the past. I've wondered if mine went rancid because the taste was awful. I know it's great fiber and a lot of SCDers use it successfully. If you try it out, let me know how it goes!

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home