<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Chicken No-Noodle Soup (a/k/a Chicken Zoodle Soup)

Monday, December 19, 2011

Chicken No-Noodle Soup (a/k/a Chicken Zoodle Soup)

What says "comfort food" when you're sick?  For me and mine, it's chicken noodle soup.  It has always been my children's favorite comfort food.

With our grain free lifestyle, noodles are out.  But, fear not!  They've been replaced by something healthier - something I call "zoodles" or zucchini noodles.  The first time I made them, my daughter happily exclaimed, "They don't even taste like zucchini!  They taste like real noodles!"

DOH!  No one around here appreciates whole foods cooking...nor my slaving in the kitchen.  Will someone please cue up the musical score from The Godfather while I wallow in self pity?

I first learned about these delicious "noodles" from one of my favorite bloggers, Lexie, from Lexie's Kitchen when I came across her recipe for Ginger Umeboshi Broth and Black Bean Noodles.

I've tried using spaghetti squash as a substitute for noodles.  However, though I adore squash in any and every variety, I prefer to grab zucchini when I want the taste of the sauce to shine through, not compete with the squashy flavor of "noodles".  (Example:  When I make my family's Italian meat sauce recipe - the real thang "meat swuace" - my daughter and I eat it atop zucchini "noodles".  Whoa Baby!)

I use this tool to make the noodles, but you can also use a vegetable peeler to make flat ribbons like fettuccini.  I personally prefer the spaghetti-like noodles because they don't stick together like the fettuccine kind, but that's just me. It's sooooo easy.  Enjoy! 

Chicken "Noodle" Soup or Chicken Zoodle Soup (grain free, gluten free, dairy free) 

Ingredients: 
1 recipe Delicious Chicken Stock (10-12 cups)
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
2 cups diced carrots
2 cups diced celery
4 medium to large zucchini, made into noodles
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups cooked shredded or cubed chicken

Instructions:
Prepare zucchini:  to make noodles - trim and wash zucchini.  Holding the zucchini firmly in one hand, use the julienne tool to slice noodles down the length of the zucchini.  Stop when you get to the seedy part.  For ribbons:  do the same as above, only use a vegetable peeler to slice ribbons down the length of the zucchini.

Heat a stockpot on medium to medium high.  Add olive oil and then onion, carrots and celery.  Saute until starting to become soft.  Remove pot from heat and add garlic, salt and pepper.  Stir for 30 seconds or until fragrant.

Add chicken stock and bring to simmer.  Add zucchini noodles and cook until tender.  Finally, add chicken and just heat through.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At February 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There jen,

Just a note to let you know I shared your awesome soup recipe on my monthly recipe round-up. If you get a chance, come on over and check out the other delightfully comforting soups.

http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/02/monthly-round-up-february-2012.html

Slurp-Slurp!

Hugs,
--Amber

 
At March 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Amber! I'm honored. Love the other soup recipes featured! Can't wait to try some! I'm a soup lover - even in the Florida summer heat. It's a one-pot-wonder of healthy veggies, protein, and overall yumminess.

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home