<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Yummy Grain Free Bread

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yummy Grain Free Bread

I hope this picture speaks for itself.  It's grain free BREAD!  I SAID... "IT'S GRAIN FREE BREAD!!"  (hooray!)

Did you even know such a thing existed?  I didn't - until a few months ago.  After much trial and error and my little taste testers' honesty, this is the recipe that passed with flying colors.

The recipe comes together easily and I usually take a day every month-and-a-half or so to make 8 loaves.  The recipe doubles so I make 4 double batches.  To freeze, store it as directed below and place bags in freezer.  It's THAT easy!

I hope you enjoy!  

**UPDATE:  I just had a bread baking day and was able to triple the recipe in my kitchen aid mixer.  I baked the three loaves in one oven with the pans spaced evenly.

Yummy Grain Free Bread

Ingredients:
4 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup cooked butternut squash, pureed (** See note below)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (Honeyville Grain)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 glass loaf pan with coconut oil.  (The size of the loaf pan matters.)  Take a sheet of parchment paper and line the long sides and bottom with it.  (Don't worry about short sides.)

In the bowl of an electric mixer using whisk attachment, beat eggs until frothy.  (You can also use a hand-held electric mixer.)  Add almond butter, butternut squash, apple cider vinegar, honey and olive oil.  Beat well.

In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, salt and baking soda.  Add to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. 

Pour batter into loaf pan.  Tap pan on counter to burst any bubbles.  (Reflection:  We all need our bubbles burst sometimes,huh?) 

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan.  Run knife around short edges of pan and lift bread out of pan by gripping parchment. 
Once loaf has completely cooled, slice.  It can be stored in the fridge wrapped in a paper towel and placed in a zip top bag or storage container.

Labels:

16 Comments:

At November 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I'm so sorry I didn't follow through on my "*see note below" next to the butternut squash. You can buy peeled and chopped butternut at Costco and BJs or, you can cook the whole butternut squash in a 350 degree oven. Just leave the squash whole, pierce it several times, and bake until you can pierce it easily with a fork. Then, puree the cooked squash in a food processor or blender until smooth.

 
At April 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM , Anonymous Julie K said...

Looks great! Can't wait to try it for my gluten intolerant two year old

 
At April 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM , Blogger BossAngel said...

Hi, I cannot eat nuts. Can the almond butter be sub for raw milk, plain kosher, sunflower or sesame butter? Also can the almond flour be sub for a bean, quinoa, coconut flour or potato starch?

 
At April 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond. I can't speak for substitutions without actually testing it out. I don't see why sunflower butter wouldn't work, but the taste might be strong. I have no idea how the other flours would work. Sorry I can't be more helpful. If you try something out - let me know how it goes.

 
At June 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Eve said...

Hi there, this bread looks great! Would this recipe make for good dinner rolls?

 
At June 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Jen said...

That's a good question. It's a pretty sticky batter so I don't think it would work. Kelly at the Spunky Coconut has a recipe for red rock rolls that I've heard are wonderful.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM , Anonymous Megan @ MAID in Alaska said...

Beautiful bread... very impressive loaf! :)

 
At June 26, 2012 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Love the color the squash gave it! Beautiful loaf!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the bread taste like good "sandwich" bread? Looks yummy!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Jen said...

It's not going to taste like wheat bread as it has no gluten so it's not doughy. BUT I Think it's great as a sandwich bread. I think it's best toasted because it's pretty moist and toasting helps dry. It out a touch. I love it under poached eggs. Which reminds me...I NEED TO MAKE SOME.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope you try the recipe and enjoy it...

Jen

 
At June 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM , Blogger danielle said...

I just made 2 loaves of this bread and it's really good - not overly dense or heavy like a lot of SCD breads can be, especially when they contain almond butter.

I spread a little homemade raspberry jam on it and it was DELICIOUS! I think it would be a good neutral bread for sweet or savory toppings. Someone earlier asked about rolls - I don't think I'd call them dinner rolls, but I think you could make a muffin that tastes slightly like cornbread if you wanted.

Thanks so much for sharing - I will be using this recipe again!!

 
At June 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks so much Danielle! I'm so pleased you liked this recipe. Its been a staple in our home this last year, although having a baby in the house has slowed down my baking just a bit. I love this bread with peanut butter and jelly.

Thanks again!

Jen

 
At August 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this bread a few days ago and I actually moan when I taste a bite of it toasted with melted butter! Yummo!!

 
At August 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Your comment made my day! Moaning while eating is the highest of all compliments to an Italian. Ive been making the bread lately with cashew butter in place of the almond butter and have really enjoyed it even more! Thanks again for the encouragement!

Jen

 
At September 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM , Blogger kathyinozarks said...

oh wow this looks so good I have celiac-thanks so much

 
At September 3, 2012 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Thank you! I hope it helps you enjoy bread again. I've been subbing in cashew butter for the almond butter and we really have liked it better.

Hope you enjoy!
Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home