<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Cinnamon Swirl Bread (grain free)

Monday, August 15, 2011

Cinnamon Swirl Bread (grain free)

This grain free Cinnamon Swirl bread is, without a doubt, one of our favorites.  I have to practically ration it out to my kiddos because they gobble it up.  It's great as is or toasted.

The inspiration for this bread came from Erin McKenna's cookbook, babycakes.  Erin owns Babycakes NYC, a New York bakery (with locations in Los Angeles and Orlando) specializing in gluten free, refined-sugar free, wheat free, egg free, soy free, casein free and vegan goodies that you will not be able to get over!  In this cookbook, she makes an Apple Cinnamon Toastie bread that is unbelievable.  I simply HAD to have a grain free version.

When we were eating gluten free (not yet grain free), I bought both of her cookbooks and even went down to her Orlando  bakery and indulged in the BEST doughnuts (OK- and cupcakes too) ever (yes, including the white flour versions).  I've made a bunch of her recipes (including the doughnuts) and have never been disappointed.

Let me know if you try this recipe!!!

Cinnamon Swirl Bread (grain free)

Ingredients:
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon vanilla (gluten free)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (from Honeyville Grain)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut sugar

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 loaf pan with coconut oil.  Line with parchment paper down the middle, including the long sides.  Don't worry about the short sides.
In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat eggs until frothy.  Add almond butter, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, vanilla and olive oil.  Beat well.

In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.  Add to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.

Remove 1/2 cup of bread batter and place in small bowl.  Pour remaining bread batter into loaf pan.  Using a spoon, mix cinnamon and coconut sugar into 1/2 cup of reserved batter. Once mixed, pour topping over batter in loaf pan.  Using a small spoon, swirl cinnamon topping into bread.  Tap loaf pan on counter to remove air bubbles.

Bake for about 45-50 minutes.  Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes.  Run a knife along short sides of loaf pan.  Remove bread by gripping parchment and lifting.  Allow to cool completely, then slice. 

Wrap bread in paper towels and store in zip top bag.  This bread freezes well.  Enjoy!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At August 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM , Anonymous Danielle said...

Ohh Help ME!!!I'm gonna try me some of dat!

 
At August 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM , Anonymous Danielle said...

Soo, on the "cimonim" (how did Emily used to say it?) you use BLANCHED almond flour but on the regular bread you have to use regular almond flour?

 
At August 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Whoops - I always use blanched almond flour. I'm sure either would work though. I get the flour from Honeyville Grain. It's milled very fine and works great in baked goods.

 
At August 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Jen said...

BTW - It's Cimmonim and Hotomato Bread - MMMMMMM

 
At September 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM , Blogger Kelly H said...

I can't wait to try this. I used to make great gluten cinnamon bread. I was so happy to see this! Since going gluten-free, I haven't had any cinnamon bread. I am stepping it up a notch and going more grain free. I am determined to get my tummy in check.

 
At September 1, 2011 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I hope you like it Kelly. We love it. My daughter wants me to make it "more cinnaminy" though, so I'm going to try more topping. I think it's great as is. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out. Going grain free has been a blessing for us. My tummy issues (and my daughter's) have greatly improved. My daughter grew 1 1/2 inches after being on the diet for 3 1/2 months. Prior to that, her growth was being affected by her food intolerance issues. Let me know how to do! - Jen

 
At May 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM , Anonymous Bonnie said...

Would it work to make it egg and almond free as well??? Any ideas on substitutions?

 
At May 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Wow Bonnie, I don't think I can help you on substituting the flour. I've read that people successfully make a "flax egg" or chia egg which you should be able to google. There's a wonderful resource for gluten free cooking (but it's not grain free) called Babycakes. Yupou might try there for substitutions for the almond flour. She uses other gluten free flours instead. Hope that helps in some way.

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home